Sunday, June 21, 2015

Trapper John, paging Trapper John. I need Smarts.

Hiked June 19/20, 2015
Trails: Appalachian Trail, Lambert Ridge Trail, Ranger Trail.



Funny thing, this stress.  It makes you sick and retards recovery.  It makes you tired which makes you depressed because you cannot do the things you want.  Sometimes, you give in, but sometimes you say, give me all the caffeine and sugar, and just go.  I am always glad when I do.  Heck, I should be used to it, I mean, I do it everyday.  Teaching takes every bit of energy I have and sometimes more.  Yet, I feel like I could give so much more.  Then, I have some coffee, and I do.  Healthy?  Probably not.  But when you love what you do, you give it all.  So why not take a day to regroup so you can have keep it up?

That was the plan for Friday.  Work on the personal business that is my psyche.  The mountains offer life lessons and healing if you are open.  The disconnectedness, the beauty, even the pain slowly recharge you and make you ready for that everyday battle.  Well, the grand plan was adjusted.  Couldn’t find a carspot, but was able to find a shuttle for $75.  NOW, before you say OMG, think about it.  A) gas price are getting ugly.  B) have you seen rural roads?  C) someone is volunteering their time to transport you.  It was all a blessing in disguise.  I just rested and reorganized.  Sometimes you just have to be.  When I thought I had settled on staying in and leaving at o’ugly am, I changed my mind again, well, because I can. I threw my stuff together and drove to Lyme, NH.  If nothing else, I would stay at a shelter and then decide whether to add to the .8 in new AT miles.  I forgot to add that Saturday was AT in a Day day when the plan was to have everyone hike part of the 2190 mile trail.  Would my original plan of 16 miles be .8 or 4.6?

Here we go
The Friday traffic had me worried about even the .8.  Then I remembered I did not have a carabiner (for the bear bag).  And then, I realized my bug bivy was in the kitchen.  I could survive.  Then my gas light came on sooner than I expected and in the middle of nowhere, gas station wise.  SIGH.  I figured I could pretty much coast to a gas station, which I did, and pressed on.  Found a familiar trailhead, threw final stuff in the pack, and left.  Well, left the princess pillow in the car that is.  SIGH.  
Yup, I did all by myself


I better get dinner on
When I made it to Trapper John, about 8:30, I wasted no time in getting dinner ready.  It was getting dark and I had to hang.  Rice noodles, curry, and some veggies.  Too much water, but now I know.  Some Chai, and off to hang.  I found a fallen tree on another tree, not the best, but it worked.  Took a few good throws, but I made it.  Bandanas are SOOO useful.  Wrap a rock in it and you have the perfect way to throw the line for your hang.  Tied my food bag, hoisted it up, and tied it to a nearby tree.  By headlamp no less.  I returned to the shelter, checked out the privy (hint the tree is better), and got myself ready for the night.  Nice group of people.  Mod, daughter and friend, 2 guys who hammocked, one from TX, and 2 HS grads from PA.  They played music that came out before they were born, maybe even before their parents met.  It was fun, then one of the thrus farted.  Of course, one of the kids recorded his farts and started playing them.  SIGH.  


The DOC has a sense of humor 
Everything is just ducky 
Shelter Sweet Shelter
The thrus stayed up late with a fire.  I finally fell asleep.  Then came the trips to the bathroom.  The kids, well, they are teenage boys, and well they did not go far.  I ran to the privy, found a nice tree without poison ivy, went and back in a warm sleeping bag.  I had lots of trouble sleeping.  Damn Chai has 50mg of caffeine.  I got up at 6, later than I wanted, but earlier than everyone but the kids.  Clif bar, tea, and I was on my way.  By the time I got back to the car, went to the wrong way, then got to the right trailhead, it was 8:15. Almost when up the wrong trail, but more on that later.  

LUPINES



The Lambert Ridge Trail (AT) starts off steep.  And it is rocky.  Oh well, I made it to the ridge in good time and I could have stopped my hike there.  I had a BBQ to go to after all, but I made good time, so I pressed on.  That was the longest 2 miles of my life.  OK, there have been longer, but you know.  Rocky, slabby, ridgy, but fun.  But the PUDs.  OMG the PUDs.  You really do need to go down to go up.  And the up was tough.  Northern Presi tough.  Wet slabs, steps, iron rungs.  This trail had it all.  Funny how the kids complained about Moose Mt being tough.  I was quite about what they were about to face.  I always give myself license to go back, but after going up that far and dealing with all the PUDs, it was half steam ahead.  I do have an issue with eating on the trail that I need to solve.  Two guys I met, passed me, after I passed them, and I figured, I would not see them or my new friend Eve again.  This was no mosey, it was a death march.  But, as usual, I made it. And the tower was closed.  SIGH.

Enjoy the pretties 








My heart is here
I met the guys from earlier and we chatted by the cabin.  Really, it was a disappointment.  Empty and just there.  But great site for emergency shelter, but that is about it.  Turns out the guys are from Florida and one is about to finish NH.  They were hiking to 25A, my original end point.  Eve is a nice black lab pup who loves to explore, but she can hike off leash quite well.  We shared stories, discussed this outhouse which had a shower curtain rod, but no curtain.  They left and soon I was joined by some NOBOs I met hiking up to the shelter, they camped by the road.  The girl commented on how well I matched.  She did too.  Nice group of kids.  Even though we only had a few words, they said it was nice to see me again.  Despite the stories and there are many out there, these kids are quite nice.  Told them that they might have trouble finding water for another mile or so and off I went.  I saw the kids from PA again, they were still alive and had two miles over me.  I wished them luck and down I went.  Decided to take the Ranger Trail.   SIGH.







Too tired to go up the ramp to look inside
Wooden steps
Then rock steps and iron rungs above that.
Yes, there is a herd path around it, but why miss the fun 
I had read that this trail had been neglected, but it was easier than the Lambert Ridge.  And it was, on both accounts.  This trail needs some love.  Lots of it.  I actually thought that it was closed and I just had not seen a notice.  I thought about going back, but slipped on.  Mossy slabs you know.  Add in full water bars, lack of blazes, and just lack of care, it was an adventure.  Luckily, I read several accounts about the trail and knew I was going in the right direction.  I lost the trail in a few places, but found landmarks and knew I was OK.  Eventually, things got better and revealed a truly wonderful wooded trail.  It was a good idea after all, few rocks, mostly dirt, just very nice.  There is also a nice garage for the ranger.  It would make a great shelter as it looks rather new.  I met some people on the way up and cautioned them that this was not the best way up to Smarts.  I really liked the bottom section of this trail.  I would love to see it cared for more.  I think it deserves it.  I know people complain about these types of trails as boring, but after the past hike and the abundance of sun, it was a godsend.

Good and bad decision in one.  Bring on the DEET and post hike scrubbing.

Telephone pole 
Garage
Made it back to the car and when I accounted for stops, lunch, and the words used down the Ranger Trail, I did pretty well,by my standards anyway.  Yeah, I was going to miss the BBQ, but I was glad I did this.  I just need to remember the sunscreen, sun was stronger than last week.  Off I went to the nearest gas station according to Google, in VT.  Luckily, I could coast a good portion of the way.  I made and my jaw dropped.  2.85, BUT the cleanest bathroom I have seen.  And awesome ice cream treats, plus a BBQ stand.  Off to 91 I went, I took 89 because it was fewer miles and near a gas station I go to often.  $2 in tolls, but whatever.  I went to Market Basket in Hooksett and somehow got roped into a #2 lobster, but after that hike, and at 5.99lb, why not.  I mean, it’s cooked already.  Then went to Irving.  That is a huge NO.  Dunkin Donuts and higher price than place up the street.  I mean, Irving, I expect some good Circle K coffee, not warm, overpriced sewage.  It was a long ride home.

I liked this trip.  Not what I planned, but I still accomplished something.  One of the NOBOs asked if I had fun.  And you know, I did, even on the Ranger Trail.  But now I am tired.  A good tired.  This summer has so opportunities and challenges.  If I keep hiking, I think I can handle it

No comments:

Post a Comment