Friday, October 2, 2015

Isolation

I have needed to get out.  For a long time.  I have not slept outside since June and it is evident.  Hiking has been minimal and not very successful.  With the cooler temps and lack of irrational stress has helped.  But new stresses abound to risk my nature therapy.  And my confidence is still shot.  Did I mention the extreme exhaustion and now a cold (which started while hiking).  But to help relieve some financial stress, and have some fun, I will be working at REI starting next week.  YAY.  I figure I am there so much already I might as well work there.  If nothing else, I can live vicariously from the people I sell tents too.  

When I kayaked with the former CEO, I never thought I would be working at REI.
I did take two Sunday excursions.  The first was about 3.5 miles to the two Moose Mountains outside Hanover NH.  Hello AT miles.  Still huffy and puffy, but I did it and man was it worth it.  I was sore the next day, but who cares.  My kids were awesome that week.  Engaged and OK even with my tech issues.  Honestly, I am saying they were awesome just because they handled the tech challenges like champs.  How will they handle a normal week?  Pray for me.





Yes, this is a privy.
Cool cairns
THIS is the water source for the Moose Mountain Shelter.  It has been that dry.
On the way out
Then last Sunday I did Isolation.  14.6 miles in less than 12 hours.  I wanted 10, but all the damn rock hopping and mud avoidance slowed me WAY down. The Presidential Dry-River Wilderness is Presidential, but far from dry. Very far.  Then it got dark. I overslept, debated whether or not I was going to do the hike at all, and didn’t get on the trail until 8.  The trip from Rocky Branch has less elevation gain, but it is longer and well, Rocky Branch and Isolation Trail are wet, muddy, and obnoxious.  This is after weeks of little or no rain.  I saw a bear though.  Heard a very loud something.  Looked, saw the bear, he saw me, clicked my poles, and he made more noise running away.  He was a good 20 - 30 feet from me.  Now that is how you deal with a bear.  

The hike won
Dry?  Who named this wilderness.

I am not kidding, Rocky Branch and Isolation are awful trails.  I would probably say the same thing about the Cedar Brook Trail if I ever did it without the snow covering the crud.  But the other way included a 1600ft climb out.  UM NO.  But honestly, I need to find a better way to this mountain.  There are plenty of legal campsites along the way.  But Rocky Branch Shelter #2 is now just a memory.  Sad really.  The other issue is access to water on Davis and Glen Boulder.  I will say that the colors were nice on the way up.  But that is the only nice thing I can say. 

Off Rocky Branch Trail right before crossing.
Rest in Pieces Rocky Branch Shelter 2 
Not much dryer.
Davis Path is another story.  It is fabulous.  Plus I met one of the maintainers.  Let me tell you, he does some amazing work.  Ok some of the bog bridges need replacement, but things like that are hard in the wilderness.  I made quick work of it.  Then the spur to Isolation, up, but not bad, even when tired.  Then the prize.  Isolation.  Spent an hour up there.  Said I was going to leave at 3.  OOPS. Really did not want to leave.  But I am sure the Jays were planning some kind of attack as I would not feed them.  Oh, they tried, even gave me the cute face.  Did not work.  I reluctantly left for the obnoxious hike out.


Very nice trail 
No need to drop packs unlike other trails.  This one is nothing.
NOT on the Isolation Trail
This must be the place


I was all by myself, isolated.  Loved every second of it.
No, bad birdy. 




Did I mention the supermoon eclipse?  Well it did not start until I got to the Kanc.  I realized it had just started and went to one of the turn offs to watch it.  Very cool, but slow.  I napped a bit, changed my clothes, tried to get warm.  When it ended, back to MA I went.  Saw it come back at a rest area where I napped again, I think.  I was so tired I really do not remember driving home.  I got home around 2 and right to bed.  No shower.  Yes, you read that right.   No shower.  And still got to work the next day.  

Really need my Lumix

I was stupid to think that stress would go away and life would be normal.  Very stupid.  It just changes and becomes more acceptable.  But at least I have an outlet to my happy place.  It will just be a bit different.  I refuse to be hopeless as things are better.  Much better.  Just harder.  But I am up for the challenge.  Now sleep.  It is past hiker midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment