Sunday, June 30, 2013

If it's the last Sunday, it must be Hale.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres...13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.


I don't always go Biblical, but when I do, it is to lift you up, not tell you why you are going to Hell.
And full disclosure  after 10 years of Catholic school and 1.5 years at St. Anselm, I had to look that up.  


I am sure there is some hiker prayer somewhere, but today, this made the most sense.  I was tested as a leader, and I chose the path of lifting someone up.  I admit that I am a hiking snob, but I am not one who thinks that there is one right type of hiker.  I think everyone can hike, some just have different abilities than others.  Not everyone can or wants to do the NH48.  Not everyone will climb Washington.  Not everyone is out for views.  Not everyone looks like a "hiker."  Some are young, some as old enough to be my great grandparents.  Some take longer to get to the top, others save their knees on the way down. And there are those who fly up faster than eagles. To each their own.


Some more disclosure:  I am obese, not just overweight, but second column obese.  According to society, I am a drain on the healthcare system and an embarrassment to society.  I don't eat well, scarf down McDonalds, etc.  I am lazy, don't care about myself, etc, etc.  My answer to that, BULLSHIT.  In the last few years, my doctors have not mentioned my weight.  Probably because they know I am out close to every weekend hiking.  I am slow, I get winded, but I make it up the mountain.  Slow and steady wins the race.  I may not be able to hike with many groups, but the joy of hiking is you make so many friends.   So many people, just enough for whatever the trail tosses at you.  And sometimes, there is the joy of being alone with your thoughts.  It’s all good.


So to today's hike.  My 4th time on Hale.  There was blue sky.  Did it go as planned?  No.  Did I have fun?  Yes.  Did the mountain humble me?  Of course.  Did I get free cheese and great s'more advice?  OH yeah.  Did we get down before the storms?  Yes.  Did I stand in the river for 5 minutes?  YUP.  Any other questions?  I do think my toe stress is due to my new boots.  They need to get over it.  


Now on to more important questions such as what goes on my playlist.  There are some easy winners, such as RUSH and almost every James Taylor song.  A few Beastie Boys.  But it gets trickier.  OK, the Police may be easy, but the Eagles and Grateful Dead are hard.  Some of the most beautiful songs make me cry because they are just so beautiful.  The penultimate example:  Ripple.  Such a great song, but I cry when I hear it.  There is just something about that song.  My cheap speakers work well, so whatever goes on that list will sound awesome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment