Saturday, July 13, 2013

CANNONBALL...or not

The good thing about being a teacher (only really) is that we have the summers off.  I can sleep in to whatever.   Well, since I have decided to pursue my 48, sleeping in has meant waking up when the sun isn't.  It was different Tuesday.  I was tired.  And my stomach still hurts.  It hurt all the way to Campton.  So after being up for about 4 hours, I decided to suck it up and bag Cannon.  It was only 2 miles right?  It can't be too hard, right?  I mean I attempted it before and aside from the granite BBs, it can't be too bad, right?    Yeah, right.  It was an exercise in perseverance, stamina, and figuring out how to use that compass.

 










My plan was simple.  2 up, 2 down, 5 hrs max.   Let me just say, I wanted to start at 2, but I am sure I was not on the trail until 2:30.  I huffed and puffed a bit but it got better.  I made it to the point where I turned around last time and thought that everything was fine after that.  I was so very wrong.  I thought I was almost there.  I was so very wrong.  The sun was shining, I thought I would see some great views.  Yup, wrong.  It would end up being my most defining moment.  At least for now.

Anyway, I got up to the lookout point, thought I was close to the summit.  FOG.  Then wind.  I thought I was I was lost.  I broke out the compass, compared it to the map.  Yup, not there yet.  Then came the mud.  The sucking mud.  Then some fog moved and I saw that I was no where near the summit.  I thought for a minute and would not give up.  More rocks, lots of places where I could twist an ankle, but I kept on going.  The I saw a cairn, and I thought it was over.  Climbed up a bit more and saw a few viewpoints, then the roped off area, completely shrouded in fog.  Yeah, I crossed the ropes, but you know, whatever.  Couldn't find the tower.  So I had some food, looked at the time and realized, I needed off the mountain and NOW.  I was tired.  I had no idea what would come out of the clouds.  I knew it would take some time.  I slipped and had to remind myself to slow down and get off the trail safely.  It was hard.  I was scared a bit.  I was alone, so I could talk to myself and curse all I wanted.  And you better believe that I did.  I even slid down the wet slabs.  I just wanted off the mountain.  Slow, steady, and carefully, I made it down the mountain.  In my mind it was over.  I danced off the trail.  I danced in the parking lot.  It was ugly, but I did it.


WELL, let's not dance so fast.  Yeah, I saw a cairn, but that is not the true summit.  The area around the tower is.  FAIL.  So I have to do it again.  Very sad.  I have two chances this summer so no big deal, but DAMN, that was not a fun hike.  Not at all.  I was scared, I thought I was lost.  I couldn't see.  I was all alone.  I had to go way outside my comfort level.  I had to trust myself.  I had to go down a trail I had no intention of ever hiking again.   I almost lost my camera, phone, and sanity.  Dropped my MP3 player in a puddle, but it survived as did my seat of my pants which I slid on.  I felt like I was being a baby.  Then I told my story on the 4K Facebook page and found out that trail was no walk in the park.  I heard all sorts of tales of woe and pain.  I felt a bit better to have made it out with a few bumps, bruises, and scrapes.  I will keep it as #11, but I still have to do it again for it to count.   Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment