Friday, July 26, 2013

Avenging Tom

Finally summited Mt. Tom.  Started around 7am, back to car a bit before 1 with breaks, attempts to get my camera to work, and letting my feet just enjoy the water crossings.  And OH they did.  My quest for Mt. Tom started a while ago.  I was in the Winter Hiking Program and also a new graduate of the Leadership Program.  So Alex, who is great to work with, suggested I co-lead...YAY.  I was supposed to do it before but woke up dying, sort of like I am now.  So I did EVERYTHING right.  I worked out in mashed potato snow in the Blue Hills, even made a trip to Wachusett.  Made adjustments to the REGI info, followed said info, and got there ½hr early.  Yeah, my body wanted nothing to do with the 10 degrees. Nothing I tell you.  Plus hey, I’m slow.  I probably had a panic attack.  So got to A-Z and well I was done.  Another participant came down and we talked about how hard it was to hike with the cold and in snowshoes.  In retrospect, it is not all that bad once you get used to it, but it takes lots of time.


Fast forward to July 5.  I woke up at 4:30 bound and determined to hike.  There was no coffee maker in my room, so I used my Microrocket to make tea water.  I am getting used to my little gas stove, but it still scares me.  Diddled for a while and finally decided it was time to avenge myself on Tom.  Just a word of caution.  The sun on 302E is pretty damn strong at 6:30.  Got to trailhead, gave a woman directions, because, again, I seem to know what I am doing.  Started out and BAM, black fly in my eye.  On goes the Goth veil, and it stayed on for the majority of the hike.  The bottom half of the Avalon trail is not that bad at all.  The water crossings were easy and refreshing.  BUT OMG MUD. Sucking mud.  The kind where you can and will lose your shoe in it if not tied tight enough.  But I made it.  Took a nice picture of the A-Z junction and off I went.  Word of caution about the A-Z trail. Seriously PUDS, steep ones.  Yes, there is nice water waiting for your feet, but pointless nonetheless.  


Made it to the Mt. Tom Spur and rested, reapplied the DEET.  And made that short .6 climb, that starts off nice and easy and then comes the rocks to climb over.  Not that bad, but remember, I was up at 4:30.  So I get to the top.  The views are to die for.  And wouldn’t you know it, camera battery died.  Phone died earlier.  On a gorgeous blue bird day too.  Went to other side to see even better views.  Oh well, gonna have to do it again.  Maybe as a traverse.  On the way back, sat in the Zealand River.  And yes, I danced down the Avalon Trail.  I had my music, I was done, I just let loose.



Got back to motel and napped.  Then the knees began to scream bloody murder.  Did I mention I was supposed to do a Bonds trip the next day?  Yeah, no.  I was thinking I could just go to Zealand...NO.  So with that and the fact that I did not have the cord to charge camera battery, and I didn’t have a place to stay, I decided to just go home.  Oh well, I am sure the cats missed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment