Thursday, February 27, 2014

Hedgehog Mountain 2/23/14 UNH Trail (the shorter one)




Sadly, vacations come to an end.  Grand things were planned, but I felt that familiar post-vacation plague coming on, so I went for simple.  I saw reports about Potash, but Hedgehog was lower and the mileage was less.  Yeah, that should have been the first sign.  A note on the Kancamangus...FROST HEAVES, and curves.  No wonder I felt nauseous at the trailhead.

Mountain Crack
I was happy to see the trail packed down well.  It was a nice trip...then you begin to realize the truth behind shorter trails...they are freaking steep.  Not all, but this one was pretty steep.  It is a beautiful trail and it has some nice views through the trees.  Allen's Ledge is up there as well, but I can see it another time.  Maybe in the fall.  

First blowdown at beginning of the trail.  Walkaround.


Almost there.

Wait. What?
Second blowdown near summit.
 There are a few switchbacks on the trail, but it is steep.  I had all day and well, I took my gosh darn sweet time.  And it was a nice day, so why not enjoy the ride.  I kept looking for places to slide down.  It is harder with the curves though.  But the snow walls were good.  One thing I did notice were postholes...

RANT ALERT:
Look, you can find cheap snowshoes anywhere and they will be fine on most of the 52s.  BUT when the snow is new or soft, barebooters or people with microspikes will leave holes in the trail.  This makes it dangerous for the rest of us.  Anyone could fall through and hurt an ankle or worse.  Plus I cannot imagine postholing up a trail is enjoyable.  Please, think before you go out.  The AMC, REI, and EMS all have great programs to help you figure out winter hiking.  Ask friends, other hikers.  They will tell you what you need and why.

"Minor" postholes at second blowdown.  I fell into one on the almost summit.
FINALLY (there is a false summity area), I made it.  Nice snowcapped views with some sun peaking through cool clouds.  Because you know I can't have blue skies at the summit.  I was unusually tired, so I sat down and had a nice lunch of cheese, nuts, and chocolate.  I thought I had the summit all to myself when a two hikers come up.  It was their first 52.  YAY.  We took each others pictures and they were off.  I said it wasn't too steep.  OOPS.  It seemed so much steeper on the way down.  I literally flew. No luging, but running.


Lunch with a view.

It was windy at the summit, but sunny and nice.

Not the summit, but nice view.

Another nice not summit.

I slowed down toward the end and noticed something was missing.  So I made a snow person.  I mean how could I not.  The snow was perfect, there was lots of natural material to be creative, and well I was there.  Made it back, endured the Kanc, got pizza and coffee from the usual suspects (Elvio's and Goode's Mobil) and homeward bound I was.  4 days later, I am slowly recovering from what I am calling the Hedgehog Plague.  If you had it, you know the pain.  I am hoping I can get some sort of energy to do a Carter on Saturday.  Heck, a few more 52s will make me happy too.  I just need my mountains.

Hope she is still there.



No comments:

Post a Comment