Sunday, February 2, 2014

Mt. Pemigewasset and Flume Gorge

Mt. Pemigewasset 2/2/2014 Mt. Pemigewasset Trail

I said I wanna do the Hancocks, my body said NO NO NO.  In fact, it didn’t want to do anything.  I was wonderfully comfy in bed and 6am turned to 7, then 8, you get the idea.  Slowly, surely I made it out of bed.  The drive up was hard, made worse by the fact I had to settle an onion bagel.  Really, a DD without Everything bagels.  And the price, OUCH. Whatever, I just wish DD didn’t monopolize gas stations.  I could have used coffee too.  


Of course, I had my pre-hike “why am I doing this again” conversation.  The lot was not plowed after the snow, but I go there so late the cars and snowmobiles did it for me.  I have gotten so much better about getting ready before I leave the house.  Boots/Hillsounds on, snowshoes secured for their ride.  Gaiters, last check, etc.  Off we go, summit attempt #2.  
This must be the place.

Standing on water...kinda.



It was warmer than the last time, a whole lot warmer.  Thanks to a Rhode Island group, the new snow was packed down nicely and I could use my Hillsounds all day.  Maybe that was why it seemed easier this time.  I had the trail all to myself.  I did meet a nice couple about halfway up.  We talked about the very fickle nature of the snow this season.  One town 4 inches, next town over 10 inches.  All winter it has been like this.  To top it off, I was confused with Cheryl Strayed.  Hey, I will add it to my list.  I still like parents call me Kerry Washington though.  Not a bad mistake.  


I pushed my way up.  Lots of huffing and puffing.  I love to hike in winter.  My body, not so much.  There is the added weight on my pack, added weight on me, different trail terrain, etc.  It is a chore.  But it is always a chore for me.  I am slower than 95% of hikers out there.  I keep hearing hike your own hike, but that kinda means only if you are on your own.  I see so many awesome trips and opportunities out there, but I don’t join or chicken out if my friends don’t go.  It’s embarrassing to be slow.  I tend to see who is leading and make the decision quickly.  Sometimes I go further.  But I usually choose saving face over possibly ruining the trip for people. I work out when I’m not sick (YAY cold and flu season), I am on a bike or elliptical.  I am trying yoga, especially breathing.  I am watching my nutrition.  Yeah, not working too well, as in not at all.  No difference, no improvement.  Last summer, after my first kayak experience, someone made a snide comment that I needed more cardio.  I was beginning a lovely bout of Strep A.  Cardio can’t fix that.  I have been lucky not to have the flu, but I work with teenagers.  Random germs + stress = little hiking.  Come summer, I can churn out the peaks, slowly, but I power through them.  Winter is different.  Enjoyable, but different.







For the record, I made it to the summit in book time.  That’s my story and I am sticking to it.  I could have made it the last time, but it was too damn cold. My last 3 52s have lacked views, but there is something peaceful about having a summit to yourself.  As I entered the woods before the summit, I suddenly felt at peace.  I wanted to set up my bivvy sack and emergency blanket for the night.  I felt at home.  I don’t even feel that at home.  I was quite disappointed that I was done so quickly. If it wasn't for the chilly breeze, I would have stayed up longer. Oh well.  


I let the trail know how I felt.
The other trail.

Yeah, it might see traffic for a few months.

Got back to the car, opened it, saw some people go into the Flume Gorge. Closed car and off I went. I saw some climbers leaving too. There are signs that they have taken out the boardwalks, and they have. That doesn't stop anyone from climbing over and around the closed sign, except me, it was getting dark. It was cool though, I recommend it, but stop at the closed sign. Stopped by Elvio's, had a great time waiting for my pizza. The key, call from the trailhead. Trust me. 








I made this.



OMG they do exist.




Overall, good trip. Will have to add to the hike again list as I had no view. Great hike to introduce you to the Whites. There is so much in Franconia Notch State Park, you have to keep coming back. You have 7 4Ks (check), 2 52WAVs, (1/2 check), Old Man site (check), Flume Gorge (check), Cannon Tram (check), Lonesome Lake Hut (gotta do), the AT (working on it), Cannon ski area (nope, I hate that mountain as it is). I am missing some other stuff to. I may not get back to my mountains for two weeks. Sad, but I will be back, with new snow too.

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel! Not only am I slightly under 4'11" but I am overweight (not obese) as well! I hike with my daughter, who is 5 feet and normal weight. I don't want to hold anyone back, either! We did do Flags on the 48 last fall and met up with the Hike-NH group on Flume. I'm even slow doing the Walk for Hunger in Boston each year! But we have good times and it looks like you do, too. Keep up the good work! Beckie

    ReplyDelete