Monday, July 14, 2014

Climbing Katahdin, or what happens when you piss off Thoreau

Trip to Katahdin 7/2/14:  Hunt Trail aka AT, rehab on Parker Trail 7/13/14

Better get rid of Thoreau's boot soon.  No room for stickers.
It's been a long week and  a half.  Heck it has been a long time since I blogged.  Life has been surreal .  A little too surreal. I haven't done much hiking, at least as much as I like.  I did add some new PA AT miles, my first ME miles, and some MA miles complete with back country camping.  Oh and I did a bit of the Long Trail with Mt. Abraham in VT.  I've been carrying around some serious weight that has slowed me down in more ways than one.  However, a sprained ankle has done little to keep me still.  Are you surprised?  Yes, I sprained it hiking.  Yes, I hiked out on it.  Yes, I am hiking with my boot.  A few miles, but hiking.

Just call me the bear whisper.
How was I able to do live this dream?  Because I am a member of the fantastic the Trail Dames.  You should check them out.

It all started so nicely.  Camped at Katahdin Stream in Baxter State Park.  Had a leanto all to myself.  Listening to the stream as I slept was wonderful, until I had to pee.  But it was warm enough and the privy was close enough that I was fine.  I pitched the inside of the my tent in the leanto because of the bugs.  I am thinking of ways to McGyver it for other trips.  Those bug bivies are heavy and expensive coffins.  I slept pretty well, woke up, had my liter of water, Pop-tarts, and yogurt.  We were on the trail at 5:30, which is miraculous for me.  That may never happen again.

That tent kept me free of too many bites.   
That helped me sleep, until I had to pee.



The Hunt Trail (AT) is tough.  And that is before you hit treeline and the scrambling.  I had my doubts, but kept pushing.  First there were the falls which were awesome.  And the views.  Even before going above treeline it was wonderful.  What upset me was the trash on the trail.  Not a whole lot, but still.  People, pack out your damn toilet paper.  Rant over.  There are boulders to go over, but doable.  Still it took longer than I expected, even at my pace.  It was also quite warm, so I think that, combined with the weight was an issue.  But eventually we got above treeline and OH BOY this is where the fun begins.


Brandi documents my progress.  Only 4.5 miles to go.
I meant to take a better picture when we got back, but, yeah.


Let's talk about poop.  Someone missed my LNT presentation.  
UP AND OVER.  That's what we did.  Up and over rock faces, using scant iron rungs to for help.  A few drops here, a hop over there, a leap of faith a bit further up the trail, this part had it all.  And some great views to make up for all the work.  It seemed like it never ended, hand over hand over foot climbing.  Technical, no.  Hard, yes.  I even used cheerleading skills.  But eventually we made it to the Tablelands and where I made a big mistake.  I pissed off Henry David Thoreau.  But wait, I wasn't in Walden?  Well Hank got around New England.  And he almost made it to Katahdin.  Joke's on him, I made it, but not without a huge issue first.

Brandi contemplating the meaning of life.
Just one of the fantastic views along the way.

Brandi shows how it's done.  
So before I got to the Tablelands, I bad mouthed Thoreau.   We saw a small sign and out of exhaustion I claimed it was Thoreau Spring because it was small and insignificant because he was longwinded and full of himself.  Well it wasn't his spring, but when I got to to it, he decided to let me know what he thought of my comment.  My ankle rolled and I felt a pop.  Sat down for a few minutes, WFAed myself, and decided to press on.  It was only a mile to the summit.

The Tableland
Flat, but lots of little ankle twisters.


Thoreau's mud puddle, errr, Spring.
WARNING:  If this happens to you turn around, especially if storms are predicted.   

I was slowed down more by the injury.  I had to stop and wrap my ankle, but guess what, I made it.  I got my pictures, walked around for a bit, met some SOBOs, Capricorn and Tommy Turtle,  and down we went.  SLOWLY.  My ankle was OK, but I felt it swelling.  We had to get down, so off we went.





Obligatory pick.  I wanted to do something non family friendly with my fingers.
Why yes, we are two bad ass lady hikers.  Don't count us out.  Even the cute ranger knew we were bad ass.
It was a long next few hours, complete with a thunderstorm above treeline.  It seems like we would never get back to the campground.  And I began to worry.  I was going as fast as I could, and water was limited, but I worried about hurting my ankle more requiring a rescue.  Who am I kidding, I would have crawled off that thing.  I was worried about Brandi getting home, I wondered if this was too much for her.  I worried about being locked in the park.  Bears, no.  Moose, no.  Having to sleep in a wet leanto or paying for rescue?  Oh Hell no.  I wondered if I made the right decision by not turning around when I got hurt.  I wonder what I could have done to prevent getting hurt.  Maybe I should have woken up earlier, worked out more the week before.  Your head spins with all this stuff.

Brandi documents my hobbling.  Notice that dark cloud above.
We got down after 9pm, and got out of the park.  Got a small McD's fries and I passed out on the way back to Bangor.  Picked up my car, drove 2 exits and stayed that the Super 8 on Olney.  Yes, there is a Fairfield Inn on the other side of 2, but it is almost 3 times as much.  Thankfully I did not find out it was there until I left.  Ankle hurt more and it was bruised.  Ice, naproxen, Arnica, and off to bed I went.  As I hobbled around, I realized I needed to go to the Walmart in Brewer for supplies.  Hobbled to entrance, got a manual wheelchair, and picked up a knee brace (oops), Ace bandage, Max Freeze, and some frozen peas and carrots (thanks to the nice lady for the suggestion).  You might not want to drive with them on your foot, but you do what you have to do.  By the time I got gas in Augusta and potty break in Gardiner I was in pain.  I stopped in Portland to rewrap, get another pack of peas, and take some more naproxen, I was better by Freeport.

If was just a golf ball when I wrapped it.  Some Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban works quite well for pain relief.  
RIP EMS pants.  You have taken your last slide.

Before I went home, I went to Urgent Care.  Again, wheelchair.  I could have had someone push me, but I am hardheaded.  My practice is in Kenmore Square a, 5 minute walk from Fenway Park.  Or as I call it the Harvard Vanguard AMC branch.  Seriously, everyone knows someone in the AMC.  OH and they moved the festivities on the Esplanade to Thursday night.  OK, in pain, in Boston traffic, and trying to find a way there since Storrow is now closed.  Somehow I made it.  X-rays, crutches from a women who was a participant on a hike I co-led, and pain meds.  How else would you spend a Thurs. night?  I could have waited to see the fireworks, but I was tired and needed more meds.

Went to doctor Tuesday for BP check (told you it was bad the last few weeks, but it improves so much) and I get booted.  Little does she know that it was like a license to have fun.  And it makes wheelchairs that much more fun.  Plus a nice kid took my groceries to my car.  Yesterday, I did 2 miles in Monadnock State Park on the Parker Trail.  Pretty cool.  Tiring though.  More naproxen, turmeric, and ice is what Dr. Me ordered.  I have lots of rehab to do.  But I feel stronger.  The bone bruise below my knee, still kills, but ankle is improving.  Getting a referral to PT and doing exercises.  I will be back in no time.  Which is far too long.



6 comments:

  1. If I hike Katadhin again, I'm going to be very nice to Thoreau :). Nice blog Karen, thanks for taking us on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have to do the others eventually, so I will have to learn about the gods, especially Pamola who you do not mess with.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you hurt your ankle but it appears that you're turning it into a popular story of endurance and bravado!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, what was I going to do? Wait hours to be told I have to walk out? You have to know how to deal with these things, or just stay home. It is boring on the couch. The mountains teach us many lessons. We just have to be open to their lessons.

      Delete
  3. But at least you can bargain with Pamola. He is reasonable. Thoreau just doesn't listen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I feeling Madison will have me all over the place. Maybe Washington can tell him I need a cart.

    ReplyDelete