Sunday, July 27, 2014

Teacher Talk

You know I could not stop talking about History.  Spent a nice weekend in Orange, VA doing some studying on the Presidency and the Constitution.  Completely enjoyed my time at Montpelier.  Thanks to Frank Page, all it cost was the horror of driving on 95, especially in NJ.  If I am lucky I will go again, and maybe grab some grad credits from James Madison.  I had an awesome time networking with other teachers, getting ideas, and learning new things.  It was AWESOME.  But then again, I was learning.  Now I have to put together a lesson plan (not required, but just for me).  Thinking of looking at FDR and his New Deal programs.  Not sure of what to do, but I will check to see what people have done and create something better.  And yes, I was wearing the boot.  It got redecorated a bit.

Then I did something I had planned for a while, but never had the chance.  I went to the Moton Museum in Farmville, VA.  No, it has nothing to do with animated animals or virtual corn.  This is the site of a student strike and it is one of the 5 cases that made up Brown vs. Board of Education.  These young warriors were not asking for integration, but better facilities.  That was it, better facilities so that they could have a decent education.  It is an amazing story you can read about in Students on Strike.  It is a small, but moving museum.  I cannot recommend it enough.

So far, that is it.  I've been couch surfing and realizing that TV really is that bad.  And that my cat needs a bath and comb.  Hopefully, Thursday's PT will allow me to boot the boot.  I will put in pictures later when I post my Franconia Ridge trip.  Bruised a bone on that one.  Three more weeks and I will be back on the AT.  YAY :).

No comments:

Post a Comment