Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Therapy in the Mountains

Bonds Traverse September 27-28
Gale River Trail
Garfield Ridge Trail
Frost Trail
Twinway
Bondcliff Trail
Guyot Shelter
Zealand Trail

Last last Wednesday, I had the pleasure to see the Boston premiere of the movie Wild.  It was awesome, you should see it.  The next day, I got some heartbreaking news.  Suddenly, I found myself needing to get away.  I had wanted to do a Galehead, S. Twin, Bonds traverse for a while.  The sprained ankle prevented it this summer, but the weekend promised to provide me with the weather I needed for my spiritual journey.  Nothing but blue skies and fall colors.  I would need a car spot though.  Otherwise, it would be up and over S. Twin again.  Carol to the rescue and all was set.  Pack was packed, and repacked.  Weighed, repacked.   Food and kitchen added, then weighed again.  Without water, it was 18.5 lb.  More than I wanted, but it was fine.  I left under the cover of night, only to realize that my poles were in the kitchen.  Luckily, the WalMart in Tilton was open at 6am.  So with new poles and some Snickers bars, I was on my way.  I felt like Cheryl Strayed, minus the ginormous pack.

Cool Tree
Once I got myself together which seemed to take forever, Carol and I headed to the Galehead trailhead.  Now, this is not my first time attempting Galehead.  I got about a mile down the trail in October.  However, when the squirrels and chipmunks started to talk to me, I headed back.  It’s hard to drive when your head is spinning and you feel like you might puke on someone’s convertible.  This time, I made it to the hut AND to Galehead.  Carol is great company.  Another slow hiker like me.  Maybe slower, but you know, sometimes you need reminders to slow down and enjoy the journey.  Plus it saves energy.  I even met a bunkmate from Madison (no, not the couple). We got to the summit, hung out a bit at the hut, and went our separate ways.  Did I mention she let me borrow her poles? Much lighter than the WalMart ones.


Carol and I before we go up to Galehead 
#34
LOTS of heart rocks on this trip.  Too many to capture.
I'm gonna do what?
It was now a solo backpack.  I was on my own.  Just like Cheryl.  In fact, El Condor Pasa played on a loop in my head.  I was worried about the time because I wanted a spot at Guyot, but that was my own fault.  And I am not a morning person.  I knew that S. Twin was gonna kick my butt.  It is like a relentless stairway, which some interesting slabs and climbs.  It was hard.  People passed me going up, and I was still going up when they were on their way down.  I had to stop to let myself get some oxygen.  The views were awesome though.  The hut said it would take an hour.  I think it took me a good 90 minutes.  I thought of all the AT hikers who do it with full packs.  But I know many slackpacked.  I met two guys who have never heard of the term.  It is when you do a long stretch with a smaller pack, usually just food and water.  Sometimes it can be done with someone taking your stuff to a campsite.  Know what?  I made it.  Wanna know something else?  It was not that bad.  I was only exposed on the summit and the view was great.  I will do it again sometime, maybe from N.Twin.  I have done harder hikes with no reward.  I ate, chilled with a cool Golden, and huffed it to Guyot.  


Presis from S. Twin 
#35
Pic of the trip.  I was in the zone.
Except for the down part, this was a fantastic stretch.  Again covered and with bog bridges.  All my troubles melted away, or so it seemed.  There is a state of mind you only have in the mountains.  It is peace.  It is freedom.  It is fulfillment.  Yeah, I worried about getting hurt, but I was on an important journey.  It was wonderful, until the boulder fields before Guyot.  I. HATE.  BOULDER FIELDS.  HATE.  LOATHE.  DESPISE.  And my feet hate them more.  But it was short and I found myself on Guyot.  Sorry Hight lovers, but Guyot has the best view in the Whites hands down.  No question.  I took in the scenery as the sun was preparing to set.  It was mystical.  



I made my way to the junction of the campsite.  I left my bag at the top just in case.  Justin, the caretaker, told me that there were no more spots to pitch my tent, so I decided to sleep in the shelter.  My first time.  With strangers.  And guess what?  It was a blast.  I loved it.  I am so glad I got to meet so many people.  We traded stories, talked about Scotch, compared gear.  I absolutely loved it.  Two girls in the shelter remember my Carol and I getting ready at Zealand.  They said they were impressed by how well we seemed to pack.  About 9, a couple came in after being lost.  And Justin told us to be quiet.  This is not the first time for me and my friends.  I slept about as well as you can in a shelter.  Naturally woke up at 4:30 and had to go.  I waited as long as I could, but nature was screaming.  After I stumbled back, I noticed the sunrise.  It was GLORIOUS.  I decided to stay awake and start breakfast.  Biscuits and gravy.  I think this is when I decided to get a JetBoil.  My water would not boil.  Someone let me use their white gas stove, it took a while, but I had a hot breakfast.  We all helped each other out.  More story sharing, filtering, and I leisurely got myself ready for the day.  I was in slowmo, but I had a good 10 hours of daylight, right?









Shelter Sweet Shelter.  


Off to the Bonds I went.  I decided to save W. Bond for the last.  That turned out to be an awesome idea as I ran out of water.  That has only happened once before.  But the sun was out and it was hot.  Once you pass Bond, toward Bondcliff, you are exposed.  So constant sun and exertion make for a slow hike to Bondcliff.  Did I mention the rocks and boulder fields that I would have to traverse again?  Bond was awesome.  Again, I saw the coal Cog go up Washington.  That is becoming a backpacking habit for me.  I started out with a bunk mate, but he had a full pack, so I went past.  I was slackpacking.  Water and some food.  Not that it made me faster.  We waved to each other a few times.  A few spectacular PUDs and I was on the infamous Bondcliff.  It is as awesome as people say it is.  I walked around for a bit, got my picture taken, took some more, and headed back.  A bit from the summit, I saw my bunk mate again.  I told him that it was not too far to the summit.  I was happy I did not have a full pack.  I said goodbye and made my way up that gnarly ridge.  It seemed easier going up, but it was hot.  I took a few breaks.  I figure it was better to rest then fizzle out.  Besides, I had work, but no sub plans and I did not call in.  And phone was dead.  



That is the steam train going up Washington.
#36 


#37.  My students love this picture. 




I had to go back the campsite junction to get my other water.  I stashed my tent and then my pack nearby so I could slackpack.  I went to West Bond which involved going down, down, down and then a short scramble up.  It was OK, but not Bond or Bondcliff awesome.  I met two women and another hiker who were finishing their 48 on West Bond.  I went back to the junction, rested, ate a bit, and climbed back up Guyot.  I met some guys who were doing a 2 day Pemi Loop.  Guyot was a different type of beautiful today.  I wanted to get to my car by 7, so off I went.  The plan was set.  Get to car, go to Carlson’s, enter sick day, sleep.  My feet had other plans.  And so did the trail.  I remembered going to Zealand last year and thought it was a nice easy going trail.  Not so much.  I had another little boulder field to contend with it and thought I was in the clear.  No.  More rocks and a new wrench thrown in the works...my feet.  I had thought that I was dealing with some Plantar Fasciitis before, and now I am positive, it is that.  The rocks do not help at all.  They make it worse.  Suddenly, I wanted to be down by 8.  



#38 
Summit ot Guyot...technically I did 6 4Ks.  Darn less than 200ft of prominence.



The next few miles were torture.  I was in pain, exhausted, and slower than normal.  I tried to speed up, but what was in front of me...more rocks.  I began to question my sanity for doing this trip.  I bagged 5 peaks, had some fantastic experiences I will never forget, and gained a wonderful sense of confidence.  But going down was excruciating.  I remember flying down the trail last year.  This year, every step hurt.  My phone was dead, so I used my camera for the time.  Made it to the hut at 7, refilled my water, strapped on my headlamp, and off I went.  If I had left plans, I would have seen if I could have stayed at the hut. Maybe this winter. The first bit down from the hut is challenging, but the rest is flat with some roots and a few rocks.  I was able to cruise a bit in the beginning, but slowed down.  It took 2 hours to go 2.8 miles.  Should have been 1h15 at the most.  It was flat for crying out loud.  I was never so happy to see my car.  Off I went.  I was going to go home, but the MaxFreeze wore off before I got to 93.  I got off in N. Lincoln and decided on Parker’s Motel.  Quite nice for the price.  With the exception of not getting online until 1am, I was impressed.  I hung out in Lincoln for a bit and drove west on the Kanc.  OMG the colors.  Got some apples, somehow ended up in VT.  Western NH is like northern IN.  One wrong turn and you are in another state.  

Pat, can I buy a spell check?
This was an amazing trip.  And 7.7 new AT miles to boot. You really discover yourself when you are in that kind of a situation.  You learn what you can do and what you cannot do.  I learned that the heat meant I needed more water.  You meet people of all kinds.  Trailrunners who are doing a Pemi loop.  Retired folks who are enjoying their lives.  People who lived unhealthy lifestyles and starting fresh.  People who wish they started hiking earlier.  Fathers and sons, fathers and daughters, friends, etc.  We all have stories about why were are in the mountains.  Some are fast, others are slow.  Some as stick thin, others are a bit larger.  But we all love the mountains and enjoy meeting others who do.  We look out for each other.  We offer food, water, lighters, stoves.  We offer advice.  It is a community like no other.  I often hear people complain that NH hikers are stuck up and exclusionary.  Yeah, some are.  But the majority of people I meet are not.  I am proud to be part of this community.  Now to go to sleep for my next adventure.

Spoiler alert: It was the Twins. That section between Bond and Bondcliff is not looking so bad now. Hoping my Honda has at least one last trip to the Whites in her. She will get a 4K sticker on her 324K+ body.

No comments:

Post a Comment