Thursday, October 2, 2014

Team Carrigain

Mt. Carrigain Signal Ridge Trail
September 13, 2014

Yeah, I know.  I need to blog about my misadventures camping and hiking again.  Plus, The AT is whole other story.  In two states.  But I thought I would let you know about the very special hike I did today.  Every year, hikers climb the 48 4K mountains and fly an American flag to commemorate the lives lost on September 11th.  Last year, my friend Casey organized our trip to Zealand.  It was awesome.  We decided that we would do it again this year, hopefully Carrigain.  Casey left on deployment in January and did not know if he would be back in time.  I decided to sit by my computer incessantly clicking register until I got Carrigain.  And I did.  We got most of our group from last year and gained two new members.  The preliminary forecast called for clear skies.  Oh well.  We had Casey with us, even if he was "jetlagged" from his return Wednesday.  I was under the impression that Carrigain was not so hard because everyone does it for their last mountain.  A little search said NO.  So what, it was not about me.

Fuzzy, but I still like it.

The first two miles were cake...angel food cake.  Then, well got harder.  2+ miles of straight up climbing.  My body was not happy.  I slept well, I ate non-solid food along the way, I drank water, had caffeine packs.  Saturdays are hard, Sundays not much better.  I mean, it is the school year. It was a miracle I was awake before 6:30.  I had a few conversations with my body about how I was not going to let it ruin this for me and snap out of it.  Worked for a little while, but there was no speeding up, just slowing down.  That sucked, plus everyone looks at you as if you dying.  Not dying, but you know, it might be easier than this.  I remember doing the Carters with a full backpack and realizing that even though I did this, hiking would not be easier.  Some days will be easier  than others, but it will never be like those first two miles.  Well maybe Osceola.


This dude sent a message to his buddies...food on the way.
View on the way up
View
And there goes the view



But I made it, then pulled a calf muscle taking off my boot.  OUCH.  Got on the tower to help set up and let me tell you, it was glorious.  We took some pics, fielded some thanks.  Of course we said we were more than happy to do it.  Then the fog rolled in and winds picked up, big time.  We went into the trees for protection and food.  We were assaulted by the Grey Jay Mafia.  No one was safe.  I was dive bombed for my cheese.  I waved him off two times, but you know about 3s.  We likened it to Hitchcock’s The Birds.  Eventually, they got bored and let us be.  We had summit zucchini bread, hot tea, and shared hiking stories.  About an hour later, we worried about the flag.  It was getting wet and the pole was beginning to bend.  With the impending rain, we decided to close up shop.  Taking down the flag in those winds was interesting, but we got it down and no one ended up in Oz.  Someone said they saw a vortex forming.  Were we not in New Hampshire anymore?  We folded the flag and went on our chilly way.  





Add caption
A hiker helped us fold the flag
Down was pretty uneventful except for the usual knee and foot pain.  Plus we were tired.  When we got to the junction with some other trail, we made bets about what time we would get back to the cars.  I said 5.  I lost by 5 minutes.  Come on people, hike faster.  ;) We had Cape Cod Salt and Vinegar chips, full fat, and said our goodbyes.  We are thinking Osceola next year.  Much easier and we can sleep in OR stealth camp.  Just not near the Porto Potty of death.  I love that reference because it is true.  

After we got soaked...fog on lens says it all.
It was an awesome day.  We did get some nice views along the way.  But the most important piece was done.  Signal Ridge Trail is not bad, but it gets steep and rocky, all kinds of rocky.  Even rocking rocks and little rocks that jump out and trip you.  You have a ridge walk with viewpoints that get better with each one.  The tower has new boards and it is right over the summit marker.  The steepness knocked me for a loop today, but I fought through the bonking to do what I needed to do.  Will I hike tomorrow, maybe.  Right now my feet are happy in a cold bath of epsom salts and my knees are letting me know Max Freeze is so much better than Bio Freeze.  Yup, they are rub snobs.  




And yes, I hiked the next day. 8.8 miles and bagged another peak. Yeah, I'm Gangstah like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment